Friday 4 January 2013

A Review of 2012

For me 2012, a very wet year weather wise, has again flown and has been crammed with activity. I am now over 11 years retired!

Highlights of the year have been many and here I mention some of them:-

• I trekked for the first time in Turkey (February/March) on the Lycian Way. We travelled some 1,435kms by bus/walking over 14 enjoyable days across the Teke Peninsula, between the cities of Fethiye and Antalya.

• I have been pleased with my regular cycling activities and in particular I mention:

o C2C Way of the Roses Morecambe 2 Bridlington 170miles in May (4 days).
o Across Wales, Anglesey and Holy Islands in 3days, some 178.5kms in May.
o C2C Bonar Bridge 2 Ullapool and back, some 88 miles in 9hrs and 15mins on 9th August.

• Walked The West Highland Way with Neil and Paul from Milngavie to Fort William in 4 days some 95 miles in June. Just a wonderful challenge.

• Had 5 days holiday in Berlin (June/July) with Stuart and Gordon – we had a wonderful time.

• In July I spent 6 days in the USA visiting Chicago. I had always wanted to visit the “windy city” - the birth place of sky scrappers. Loved the city.

• Walking, stalking and fishing on Glenure Estate near Newton Stewart with Stuart in July (4 days). We had another 4 days on the Estate in September.

• Went to Madrid for 3 days in July – the weather was wonderful.

• Spent 11days in Scotland in August walking, fishing and cycling and visiting relations and friends.

• August also saw me on Mull for a week where I hired a cottage with two friends. We had a wonderful time discovering Mull and getting the ferry to Iona for the day and a walk round this lovely small Island. I stopped in Glasgow for a night on the way back and then stayed for three nights in Penicuik.

• On 23rd September it was my 4th End 2 End 40 mile walk on Isle of Man with 405 entrants in the race. I finished in 127th place in 9hrs. 28mins. Alas my performance was not up to that of the previous year.

• In October I went to Scotland to Glen Shiel to get practice for the Nepal Trek climbing 9 mountains, including the Five Sisters of Kintail Ridge. The “Rut” was in full “blast” so this added to a wonderful day on the ridge.

• My trek in October/November in Nepal climbing Mera (6,476m) and Island Peaks (6,189m) and crossing the challenging and technical Amphu Labsta Pass (5,780m). This took me over 20,000ft for the first time, which has always been an ambition. Just a wonderful experience.

• My mountain count for the year totalled – 101, most being Wainwrights in the Lake District.

Health, happiness and continued success in 2013 to all.

Very best wishes, Fraser.
3rd January 2013

No comments:

Asturian House

Remote Emergancy Care

Henry Garcia Tours Madeira

Henry Garcia Tours Madeira
Henry at your Service

Homestay at Evans Bay New Zealand

Rachid Imerhane

Rachid Imerhane
Guide & Organizer of Treks - Mountain - Coast - Desert & Imperial Cities http://www.atlas-morocco.com

Clashview Kinlochbervie

Clashview Kinlochbervie
Clashview Kinlochbervie

Inchardview

Inchardview
Inchardview

TREKKING ENCOUNTERS

TREKKING ENCOUNTERS
FOR SUSTAINABLE ECO-TOURISM

Bayhead Self Catering, Isle of Harris

Bayhead Self Catering, Isle of Harris
Delightful

http://www.documentdirect.co.uk

http://www.pacerpole.com

http://www.stridingahead.co.uk